Oil & Gas Manufacturing and Services
The size, production and infrastructure of the oil and gas industry in the province of Alberta is well-known throughout the world. With the third largest oil reserves in the world, after Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, Alberta has been a global production leader and industry authority in petroleum technology.
Industry operations are spread out throughout the province in clusters. Head offices and administration are primarily based in the City of Calgary, located in the southern part of the province. While there is a great deal of light crude exploration everywhere in the province, the majority of the oil production comes from the oil sands in the north of the province, and those exploration and mining extraction operations are based around the City of Fort McMurray. Almost all of the oiland& gas manufacturing and service companies are based in the Central Capital region, and that is where the JEDI region is. Many Canadian and international companies have their manufacturing facilities in the Capital City of Edmonton and Leduc-Nisku, which has the largest petroleum manufacturing industrial park in Canada.
The JEDI region is adjacent to and part of the central manufacturing region. It has several manufacturing companies that specialize in petroleum manufacturing and services that operate both locally and globally. The advantages of operating out of the JEDI region are:
- A high volume transportation hub
- A large supply of skilled trades labour]
- The environment of direct supply chain to manufacturing with thousands of other industry companies in the region
- The CanmetENERGY Research Centre, working with industry and government on projects that can take the form of R&D agreements with individual companies, research consortiums or collaboration on demonstration projects. They enter more than 150 client-sponsored projects per year, including companies ranging from small to major international energy corporations.
- Enform, a dedicated training facility that provides local and global training courses. It focuses on technological advances in the upstream oil and gas industry to address industry needs and challenges.